Create A Dedicated Server With More Resources For Monthly Fee

MrMagooAZ
Guardian

51 topics
102 posts

by MrMagooAZ » over 4 years ago
With the player counts rising, lag has grown to be a very significant problem for all players.

The staff have tried to do what they can to battle the lag issues, but some of those solutions have included changes to the game that really limit players. Those changes include:

Chunk Rendering = 4. This really effects players. Bases/Farms have to be moved and stacked for them to update.  Flying in Elytra is even more difficult if there is no lag, but becomes deadly when a lag spike occcurs. Game mechanics like Conduits are broken because the item will unload before it's max distance is reached. 

I know that Farmlimiter was changed right after I came on to the server and I don't know what the previous settings were, but maybe allow for some larger farms?

I'm sure there are other things that have been done to battle lag that have limited the player experience.

It's also important to note that, while these changes may have helped lessen the lag issues, they have certainly not fixed them entirely.

It's understandable that adding server resources or actual servers costs real world dollars. It's also understandable that more players does not equal more money, as many players are limited in what they can pay. 

What about a server that would only allow players to build there who were part of a monthly subscription service.  It would need to be enough to cover the additional server I'm sure. Maybe $5 a month per player? I am not sure.  Anyone could visit, but only subscritpion members could build.

I am relatively new to Wildercraft, but I love the environment and many of the players I have come into contact with. I would not want that to change. But I can tell you that had these limitations been part of the server experience when I started, I would probably not have stayed.

RE: Create A Dedicated Server With More Resources For Monthly Fee

_Swagg_
Ancient

20 topics
37 posts

by _Swagg_ » over 4 years ago
what is the difference to donating normally then having another server that also costs money and mods to monitor. Why not donate on the normal server so it can be improved and you still play with the whole community. It will cause the community to grow more appart i think. People who dont have the money or are not allowed to donate from their parents can't enjoy the fun which is kinda discriminating to them. And also becomes pay to win, you donate -> you get to play on a "better" lagfree server....

diamond.png x 2

Fairchild
Ancient

1 topics
11 posts

by Fairchild » over 4 years ago
I think if you had enough money to do this, why not get your own server with your own friends? It would be cheaper, less lag inducing , and you'll have more freedom.

On a different level, I don't even know if subscription servers are legal due to Minecraft EULA, I remember when they used to be prevalent but once Eula came about it stopped alot.I don't want Wilder to get shutdown.

But at Wilder the heart of it. Is the inclusiveness. The people who are good at fighting but horrible at building, people who are great redstone or the people who just love it for the ride,the people who are rich, who are poor, who are gay, who are Non-Binary, who are straight, who are Russian, or who are Greek, the old , the young, the people who are trying to sleep . Wilder is inclusiveness and at its heart, accepts everyone. Adding a subscription service seems like a slap in the face to what Wilder is about, a community that is together no matter who we are and helps each other.If we decide that someone is too poor to join a better experience . What does that say about Wilder?

Last edited: over 4 years ago diamond.png x 3

MrMagooAZ
Guardian

51 topics
102 posts

So free players should be allowed to join the server en-mass and eat up the resources that everyone uses?  How is that fair to everyone on the server, reguarless of whether or not they pay any money? Everyone should suffer, but we'll suffer together?

We've had so many players join and are using resources that the admins have been forced to dial back functionaltiy for everyone. Why shouldn't players who are able and willing to pay a little more have a server that's back to 100% functionalty? These are the same players who pay to keep ALL the lights on. What is wrong with giving a little more to those who pay a little more.

I see this as a lot less "pay to play" than being able to buy up your rank or buy weapons or tools. We already have servers/worlds that you can only access with a certain rank. I can pay cash money for a killer pickaxe or sword and that's okay, but I want to have a server that is set to resonable values for chunk rendering and that's evil? I don't see it.

I'm not trying to change the environemnt. I like playing with others and the people on this server are really great. I just think that it would be nice to have a truer environment for folks to play on, and I don't see why offering a payment option to support that along with the rest of the server is bad.

diamond.png x 1

agentbbn
Elder

3 topics
31 posts

by agentbbn » over 4 years ago
how about having a new server that has a fee that you pay to get in, but not a monthly fee? Monthly fees can get weird, especially on a server, so just have a set fee to get in. Idk how you would price it, but it wouldn't have anything special; just a regular server, but for people who pay. I agree thatwildercraft isn't about pay to play, and that's fine. Maybe you could make it an expanse kind of server, so that it wouldn't affect the economy.

I get that the server costs money, but I also get that wildercraft isn't pay to play, as most wildertools aren't broken, or have pros and cons. This would implement both ideas, and wouldn't hurt the economy.

MrMagooAZ
Guardian

51 topics
102 posts

Agentbbn - How does having a lag-free server with more rendering affect the economy?  I just don't see it as any more than an improved player experience thing. What am I missing?

Yacob1
Guardian

19 topics
63 posts

by Yacob1 » over 4 years ago
This would be a very nice thing to have. As youtubers have patron servers why cant something like that come to wildercraft. A good way could be a monthly fee of like $5-10 to use it but then if you have donated over x(lets say something like over $500) amount you can be in it for life. Also some people have said it is pay to win and unfair but without any donators there would be no server.

This server should be mostly run by the donators and they can decide what happens, like resets, world expansions, and some rules(the basic one like no grief are a given). Staff members can not play on the server also unless they have donated. They can always come on to fix stuff but can not utilize the server.

This server should be somewhat of a democracy where most things should get voted on. A discord server would have to be made so there could be polls so everyone can vote on ideas.

Another way could be that the donator server could be the testing server, so like a day or two before the item becomes live on the other servers the donator server gets to try it out first.

This could also help increase the money wildercraft takes in, if there was 30 people who played on that server and each was paying $10, that would be $300 and i know it does not cost that much for just one server to run. As just looking at server hosting websites the most expensive plan does not get above $100 a month. Not sure how much that relates to haveing multiple servers but you could make some money from this.

JustGabee
Colossal

6 topics
15 posts

by JustGabee » over 4 years ago
This sounds pretty elitist to me but what do I know. Would be a good way to make money for the server though.

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account