What did you wish you knew when you started playing Wildercraft?

tigerbalmv
Elder

8 topics
29 posts

by tigerbalmv » over 3 years ago

I'll start.

• Everything is gone in six months. It makes sense to me that the servers get restart periodically, and I'm OK with it, but I wish the information had been front and center.
  • Chickens. No matter how much you feed them, you don't get more than fifty. Or sixty. Nobody seems to know how many for sure, but it's a fixed number. Also, they don't move but just stand there, staring into the distance. Who knows what a chicken sees.
  • I wish there had been a text description of how claims worked instead of a video. People learn things differently, and I don't learn from videos.
  • Notices pop up periodically reminding you not to cheat when you're mining diamonds. Scared the pants off me the first time it happened.

Last edited: over 3 years ago diamond.png x 2

RE: What did you wish you knew when you started playing Wildercraft?

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 3 years ago

This is a really nice list, tiger! I'll get with Community team and try to expand on this list and include some text, menus and a guide on the website for new players. Great ideas here so far!

hollmane
Ancient

2 topics
10 posts

by hollmane » over 3 years ago

Here are s here are some things I wish I knew about wilder when I first started to play here

No one is disputing the beauty and hard work that went into our spawn and local spawns however they are extremely difficult to navigate as a new player. I think we are losing out on a lot of players from people who are too confused and lost when they first start playing so they just leave.

I wish I knew what the wilder warp was it was not made clear how to use it or what it did. In addition I didn't understand what the separate tree servers were. It could be beneficial especially to new players making it more clear what the tree servers were and how to get to them.

Ranks and their perks is also something and that was confusing for me personally when I first started to play about a year ago. A lot of times I am voting for new players so they can TP to their friends because of voting issues. Making sure that capitalization and spelling is correct is imperative, and a lot of new players don't know that.

The last thing I wish I knew when I first started to play on this server was that It is such a warm and welcoming community. I remember when I started back in season 7 I had made a moat of lava around my base out of fear from Griefers. About a year later I'm not even worried about claiming my land. 

diamond.png x 1

hollmane
Ancient

2 topics
10 posts

by hollmane » over 3 years ago

(Also I forgot to add that the "Season" time line was NOT made clear to me when I first started, 6 months seems like a long time but for players who are not starting out in the beginning like everyone else has less of a motivation to stick around and work on big projects, I wish it was made more clear) 

Avanu
Dryad

22 topics
25 posts

by Avanu » over 3 years ago

wish i knew wanderer wasnt the highest rank when they gave me a diamond pickaxe for free in season 4

tigerbalmv
Elder

8 topics
29 posts

by tigerbalmv » over 3 years ago
  • It's cheaper to buy armor than it is to make it from diamonds. People were really, really nice in pointing this out to me and helping me find my way around the shops. The help is particularly important as the shop interface doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.
  • You can use /search$ item to find stuff, but it doesn't tell you the prices. Prices vary wildly, so it pays to shop around (discussions about how Wildercraft is not an efficient market in the economic sense and whether that should change can happen in a different thread).
  • As much fun as it is going up the waterfall from spawn to the shops, I just /$ there because otherwise I get lost.
  • It's worth emphasizing that the friendly and helpful playerbase smooths out a lot of lumps, but making some documentation available on the web site would allow self-starters to clue themselves in and save the emotional energy of players to help the most bewildered new people.

Microweb4
Dryad
Mod

4 topics
10 posts

by Microweb4 » over 3 years ago

Here's some things that started me off on the right foot as a new Wildercraft player:

• The community is helpful: It is easy to reach out and ask for help.  That being said, some players are nervous to ask questions, especially if they came from less-friendly servers, so emphasis on this is a great asset.  For example, I love that Helpers and Staff greet new players warmly, which is an invitation for new and less confident players reach out.  It seems that players are also generous with helping new players who are low on food or may have lost their items because a fall into lava.
  • There is a lot of good information at Spawn:  I spent time reading through the signs posted around Spawn at the end of Season 8, which pointed me in the right direction.  Some people will naturally jump right in, so I feel text at Spawn may only go so far.

Here are some areas that might be opportunities:

• Clarification of Commands: A central guide to all commands via an accessible web-page would probably go a long way, lying out what commands do and the syntax they use.  Navigating through the in-game /help for commands is tricky and not as accessible as it could be to many players.
  • Simplify Command Lists: Players can scroll through all commands using /, most of which are not accessible to non-staff or admins.  This is the same for the /help command, which lists all commands, not just the ones suitable for a player's specific access-level.  If possible, filtering those commands to show only accessible commands would go a long way to always get back to a clear list.
  • A Wiki! I know I've mentioned this before, but I love wikis. 😁🎉   A Wiki could be a great place to curate important information, such as commands, information for new players, rules and generally be a one-stop place for any WilderCraft information.  This could centralise resources in a web-like structure, rather than the linear nature of forums (for documentation purposes), which I personally find less-accessible.  I think much of a Wiki's success comes through their design and structure, with home-pages that allow people to quickly access the information they're looking for, while also stumbling across new aspects of the game.  I also know it requires participation, so a wiki doesn't become a stale graveyard of outdated information - it needs active players to keep it fresh.
    • A wiki could be a fun place to expand on the lore of the servers, and the history of Wildercraft.  For example: What does the Wiki page for Willow look like?  What is the story behind Willow?
    • It can be an archive of the game.  What were some of the memories or moments during previous seasons.  Staff and Reps can help curate screenshots, builds, events and other happenings as they occur.
  • The 'New Player Hut': It might be beneficial for new players to have special access to something like a 'new player hut', which could have some helpful early resources, like basic food.  This could also be provided by players, which are in the Redwood End, for example, but new players don't know about them when they join.

Last edited: over 3 years ago diamond.png x 1

cestmonprobleme
Colossal

3 topics
4 posts

by cestmonprobleme » over 3 years ago
  • Not all of the rules are written in the wildercraft guide book or in the /rules command
  • What expanse and creative are, what they do, and who can use them
  • The fact that there are portals at spawn (didn't know this one for abt a month lol)
  • That there was a discord server. It took some exploring of commands to find the discord.
  • The forum was really hard to navigate. I still have trouble with it, but I was absolutely clueless in the early days.

diamond.png x 1

CRAZYBEES
Mythic

7 topics
32 posts

by CRAZYBEES » over 3 years ago

Wow guys these are some really great ideas :D I am excited to see which of them we are able to impement. Thank you so much for helping us out with this.

p00psterz
Treant

5 topics
23 posts

by p00psterz » over 3 years ago

The biggest thing for me was what Tiger mentioned with the server reset every 6 months or so. When I joined last season me and Speed had no idea that the server was reseting until somebody off handedly mentioned it a month before. It was honestly pretty rough to find out that all our work was disapearing in a month when we had no idea going in. But I also noticed that a "season resets twice a year" has been added to the webpage so I think that mostly solves that problem for people coming in through the website, but maybe adding it to the rulebook would be helpful too.

Just a general comprehensive list of commands on the website or somewhere would be amazing. Whether it's /tpa or /join local. There's a lot of commands that all have different convoluted ways to get them. They all make sense in their own context, but having a full list of commands for different areas of the game all in one place would just simplify things so much. I started here from just playing on a two player vanilla server so coming in I had no idea what any commands did or how they worked.

Also seconding Tigers other poing on the popups. I get why they're there but when starting out it definitley makes you feel like you're doing something wrong every time you build, mine, or place anything.

diamond.png x 1

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account