Should we remove ideas here after they are old/skipped/done?

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 3 years ago

Note: the ideas & feedback forum will still contain all ideas, your ideas & feedback are not deleted!

Would it be helpful to remove old ideas from #ideas-and-feedback on Discord only?

This way we're always looking at fresh ideas, we'd remove:

1. Old: Things older than 60 days
  2. Skipped: Things we aren't doing for some reason (technical, not feasable, community didn't like it, etc)
  3. Done: Things we implemented and are live on the server—yay!

What are your thoughts? Like, dislike? Tell us why?

Thanks!

Last edited: over 3 years ago

RE: Should we remove ideas here after they are old/skipped/done?

gplayer5
Ancient

6 topics
43 posts

by gplayer5 » over 3 years ago

This would definitely be a good way to help declutter the discord channel. However, it might be a good idea to keep the older posts within the forums still. If the discord posts are autogenerated by the posts made in the Feature Requests section of the Forums, there could be some sort of bot or script that automatically moves the post to a sub-section (something like "Archived Feature Requests"). This way the discord channel posts will be removed but the actual forum posts will still be preserved.

RE: Should we remove ideas here after they are old/skipped/done?

MrMagooAZ
Guardian

51 topics
102 posts

by MrMagooAZ » over 3 years ago

Removing ideas from Discord is fine.  The post and feedback should stay on the forums.  

It would be nice to know what the status of the request is.  Many ideas don't get any response other than the voting. Even the feedback from staff is somewhat cryptic. You certainly don't want to put staff in the position of telling someone their suggestion is dumb or impossible, but at the same time it would be nice to know what is being considered, what could be considered, and what is probably not ever going to happen.

There is also the issue that some posts contain one suggestion, while others contain a variety of suggestions that revolve around one topic, some of which are good, some are bad, and some are not possible.

I know that I and others have put up some posts on changes to the economy and shops and I have no idea which, if any of those, is even on a backlog somewhere.  

As a software developer in my RL, I understand how those kinds of "punch lists" tend to evolve: things that interest the developers usually work their way to the top, followed by the requests that are easy to implement, with the hard asks that have little or no developer support falling last. There is also always those urgent break/fix items that take over the schedule. All of this is done with a finite amount of developer time.

It's natural for a lot fo this to occur.  But it would be nice if player interest could help shape the list of changes to be done. This is hard...no one wants decisions made by a committee. Many folks "vote" with the emoji tags, but I have no idea if this actually influences anything. 

Last edited: over 3 years ago

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account