How do you like WilderTools?

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 5 years ago
After getting some very good feedback in Discord about WilderTools and repairs, I was wondering what everyone thinks about WilderTools in general.

The main idea behind WilderTools was to provide players with a way to gain bonus items and xp without having to setup lag-inducing farms. So WilderShears and the WilderCopia both give you bonus xp for using them to harvest certain items.

- Do you find WilderTools too OP, or not powerful enough?
- If you could change one thing about WilderTools, what would it be?
- What other tools would you like to see?
- Any ideas for balancing tools so the trade-offs feel more impactful and like a choice you're making?
- Should WilderTools be repairable?
- Do you like this idea? Take any 2 WilderTools and bring them to a special NPC at spawn in exchange for 1 new random WilderTool. Recycle!

We'd love to hear your feedback, ideas, and thoughts on improving or changing this custom code feature that's unique to WilderCraft.
Thanks!

diamond.png x 1

RE: How do you like WilderTools?

TungstenDiOxide_
Guardian

5 topics
9 posts

by TungstenDiOxide_ » over 5 years ago
I personally think that the pick, axe, spade, and sword are a bit of a let down. For example the hoe gives you extra crops and the shears give dye. I think it could be cool if the pick could get up to fortune 5 and give xp when mining ores like iron and gold... for the sword maybe looting 5 sharpness 6 or 7? May be a bit much. For the axe it would be cool if you mined one log the whole tree comes down, but that's not very vanilla... tbh axes and shovels are kinda pointless when it comes to enchanting. One thing I have NEVER seen is wilder boots... so I have to opinion on those lol. As of right now this is all I can think of lol. 

Obsidian0dragon
Ancient

4 topics
9 posts

by Obsidian0dragon » over 5 years ago
I do find that once you have all the different types of wildertools, you already have collected a nice set of near max enchanted tools for yourself already, wildertools or not, so having a recycling system would be perfect in my opinion, or perhaps they could be traded in for "vote points" not such that you would get the rewards for each individual bonus vote but they contribute to ranking up (i.e. 1 wilderaxe for 5 vote points.) {while it is another qualm of mine that an exponential ranking system works in some cases it gets to be too much especially for that big 760 that is a very large hurdle for many players seeking to rank up all the way without having to pay or play for many many days. But, I digress and return to the topic}

And yes, they should be repairable, or at least all have mending on them.

Also, it is kind of inconsistent with how the regular diamond tools, bar the hoe, all don't have special XP rewards or bonus items but the other ones do and in some fashion should gain similar functionality to tools like the hoe and shears.
Perhaps then, as an example, a widershovel will occasionally grant the user some XP, or a widerpick will auto-smelt ingot ores.

As for other tools, maybe we get some wilderarmor? Each piece has its own special ability, (helmet provides sight underwater, chestplate has thorns that don't take durability, leggings which give a 2 block jump, or boots that increase walking speed {which would be EXTREMELY helpful on a server with a map this large.]) P.S. maybe if they are too op make them gold armor?

And that also brings up the idea, why not a golden wilderpick or other tools? If it has mending they will not break as easily but will have a greater mining speed and may not need the special abilities that I gave above for the other diamond ones?

I hope that none of my opinions on the matter were either too much or too little, but the best I can wish for is some more discussion on the topic. Thank you.

derecs
Wild

0 topics
3 posts

by derecs » over 5 years ago
The WilderCopia from thanksgiving was the only one I ever used, and that didn't live long because I put it in an anvil to repair it.  I build max diamond tools and buy mending, so wilder tools go to my kids or sit in a chest.  They just don't get used.  They're not powerful enough for me.

I have never seen WilderWings or a WilderBeacon.  I think I've only seen hoe, shovel, and maybe axe and pick, but I'm not even sure I've seen those, either.

Audrei143
Ancient

8 topics
14 posts

by Audrei143 » over 5 years ago
- Do you find WilderTools too OP, or not powerful enough?
A: No they are not OP, despite not being able to repair it, is what makes it weaker than regular max tools.

- If you could change one thing about WilderTools, what would it be?

A: One thing, that would be their rarity (which you can only get one of them every week). Higher ranks should have higher chances of getting them daily, or add them to the random loots upon voting daily. and weekly is a guaranteed wildertool loot. BUT the tool only has 5 durability on the tool and it has no mending, and if you bother using it on an anvil, it will just be a regular enchanted tool. It loses its special perks.

- What other tools would you like to see?

A: WilderChest. It utilizes The shulker box item design but it has 57 slots ( a full dub ). You can't sell them on shops but you can like dismantle it on a crafting table and you get maybe 3 diamonds per chest.

- Any ideas for balancing tools so the trade-offs feel more impactful and like a choice you're making?

A: As of my experiences so far, No.

- Should WilderTools be repairable?

A: If you want to keep it as a rare item (weekly item), then I suggest yes.

- Do you like this idea? Take any 2 WilderTools and bring them to a special NPC at spawn in exchange for 1 new random WilderTool. Recycle!

A: why not take 2 wildertools along with maybe 30 levels to transform it to a random tool?

-Audrei143 your one and only noob son

stickbugs
Elder

2 topics
9 posts

by stickbugs » over 5 years ago
Hey :D

After the discussion about the WilderTools on Discord I thought I’d post some feedback here.

Are they too OP?
It depends on the tool. The axe, pickaxe and shovel are all pretty disappointing for what’s considered a rare item. They only have Unbreak 1 or 2, as well as a few other enchantments that are not too exciting.
But then you get to the WilderCopia. Getting emeralds from harvesting simple crops is a little OP if you ask me. Emeralds were made to be a rare material, so getting them from harvesting crops is kind of ruining the challenge of finding them.
The only tool I find balanced is the WilderShears. They basically give you pre-crafted dye, saving the process of crafting the dye later, with a little bonus XP.

What would you change about the WilderTools?
An idea would be to possibly make the rarity higher, and increase the enchantment levels of tools like the WilderSpade, WilderAxe and WilderPick.

What other tools would you like to see?
You could create a WilderTrident, but it would be incredibly rare. I’ve seen many people on the server looking for tridents for days (including me), so adding another rare and unlikely way of earning tridents might make the struggle a tiny bit easier. To balance it it could be unenchanted, or have low enchants, so people would have to enchant it themselves.

Any ideas on balancing the tools?
As I mentioned before, increasing the rarity and enchantment levels might add a bit more balance to the system. As well as possibly nerfing the emeralds on the WilderCopia, but keeping the bonus food and a little XP. I feel like the current rarity will cause players to have decent diamond tools early in the game, which in my opinion ruins the survival spirit.

Should WilderTools be repairable?
Yes, but in the form of Mending. If all the WilderTools come with mending, people will have to find an efficient way to gain XP (like XP farms) to repair their tools.

WilderTool Recycling?
I think this is a great idea, but maybe using a little XP to recycle them would keep people from gaining loads of reasonably good tools.

~~~~~

Thanks for reading my feedback! 
- iinspires heart

lLOMlLO
Treant

27 topics
182 posts

by lLOMlLO » over 5 years ago
I really love the wilder tools. The axe, shovel, pick, and sword are not extremely unique because I already have tools that are on the same level or better, but when I recieve them I always use them as my main tool because I prefer the color and I like that my name is embedded in the lore (someone can't rename that). I don't think these tools have to be especially OP in order to matter and I'm happy with the level they're at now. However since these tools don't have any unique abilities I do think they should be repairable or combinable. 

The wildershears and wildercopia are the ones that stand out. Wilder shears are awesome and I've been trying all season to get a pair myself through voting. I like the rarity. I have about 4 wildercopia's now, so I think they are too frequent. Another change I think they need is that they should give off at least some seeds when harvesting wheat, even if it's a reduced amount or just 1 seed per harvest. They're almost useless on wheat because currently there is no way to replant at all when harvestingt. Seeds can only be used for replanting and breeding chickens so it's not especially OP to give some. As for them dropping emeralds, I don't think they drop enough for it to be over powered. I have used a wildercopia on a massive farm and only recieved ~10 emeralds from it. I'm not sure if there's a difference between holding it down and pressing to harvest each individual crop. 

The Wilderwings are awesome, and again I have been trying all season to get them. But that's okay because they feel like an end game item anyway. Last season I had a full set of wilder armor... where did those go? I would love to see them in the voting rewards again! And I'd like to reiterate here that I don't think they have to have non vanilla enchants to matter. 

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account