Increase entity render distance

Qaladien2
Elder

11 topics
19 posts

by Qaladien2 » over 4 years ago
Description: 
If server performance can handle it, increasing render distance of entities to 48 (3 chunks) would be nice

How does this idea keep in line with Wildercraft themes? (Wilderstyle, Power has trade-offs, survival gameplay has consequences)
Addresses the fact that some farms break when render distance is so low

How difficult is your idea to implement? (1-10)
1 - config cahnge

RE: Increase entity render distance

MsPoffy
Ancient

20 topics
131 posts

by MsPoffy » over 4 years ago
Hi Qaladien,
Tech team & Red will do some testing with entity render distances to find what's doable, based on the outcome this could possibly mean a change from the current settings, thanks for the suggestion!

RE: Increase entity render distance

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 4 years ago
We ran tests over the last two weeks with a few different render distance values:
- Tests range from view distance between 4-8
• 4 seems to be the sweet spot that produces basically perfect game performance for ~45 players per server
• Performance sharply degrades as more players join beyond that
• Several server owners and plugin developers recommend using view-distance=1 as Spigot and Paper handle chunk loading a little different than vanilla MC and tend to do their own performance optimizations for chunks loaded in memory
• Upgrading hardware won't really help here, this seems to be a limitation of current multi-threaded performance of Minecraft, in the future it's possible, and likely MC will be rewritten for the server layer to take better advantage of multi-core CPUs, but right now we're stuck with these settings
• Lately there have been huge CPU spikes on Expanse, this was because of increased view distance test settings, so I've reverted that to 4 as well to restore smooth performance for everyone

Thanks for this Qaladien, I know we've talked about raising this in the past. I tried! Maybe we can re-evaluate this each major MC update and see what can be done.

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account