Voting Changes

NecronBrinis
Ancient

7 topics
14 posts

by NecronBrinis » over 4 years ago

I would like to propose 3 voting changes:
  1. Add tridents to the vote pool. The drowns that wield them have a low chance of spawning, and the odds of getting the trident with a Looting 3 sword are pretty low as well, making the item harder to get. Perhaps if it were a WilderTool, it could be called a WilderSpear maxed for combat purposes. However, if more people would favor Riptide, then it could be called a WilderLance.
  2. Add another vote link. Doubling the vote requirements is awfully steep, so making the vote process 33% faster would help the people who want to actively vote for the server and work towards their rank.
  3. Allow players to vote offline. This would help tremendously with people who aren't always online that want to contribute to their rank progression. I've seen other servers do this, and it's great for people who aren't always available to be on the server, but have access to Wilder's vote links.
Overall, the benefit to players is primarily based on the time they may want to dedicate to helping spread the server around. In terms of individual points:
  1. Seeing how people don't frequently get almighty WilderTools, adding a trident to the pool seems like a low-risk, high-reward addition to the WilderTool pool. My inclusion of this is solely to account for the rarity of the item, and it's a 2-3 on a scale of 10 because it's simply altering the odds of pulling other rewards out of a vote session versus pulling a trident.
  2. This is to account for the players who were close to their next rank two weeks ago before the suddenly ramped rank requirement change. I was one of them, as I would've been a Pathfinder by the time that I came back from a family wedding two Mondays ago, if the change hadn't happened that weekend. Finding a fourth website to include in /vote is a 1 on a scale of 10 to implement.
  3. This helps with players who want to vote for rewards while offline for a long period of time. The struggle with this feature may be accounting for full inventories. If the rewards are going to stack up while the offline voting occurs, getting all rewards at once (there are some odds that someone could get a couple stacks of items, and a few WilderTools) could cram up in their inventory, with some potentially not appearing. In this current state, I'd give this idea a 3 in terms of complexity. A minor proposal to make up for this could be some sort of /redeem command, which would allow players who have vote rewards from 3+ days of offline voting to claim them after emptying their inventory for rewards. With that incorporated, this idea would sit at about 5 on a scale of 10; while adding a new command could be tricky to code (I'm not exactly sure how hard it would be), it puts the choice to overfill one's inventory into the hands of the player in question.
What do you guys think? I hope to see at least 1 of these added!

diamond.png x 3

RE: Voting Changes

Bangz3
Elder

2 topics
6 posts

by Bangz3 » over 4 years ago
The only thing out of this I dont personally agree with, is the trident. I think we should just keep it rare and hard to get from drowned spawns. And having both options of riptide and combat purposes available would create some confusion. Just my opinion of course! But great feedback! :)

lLOMlLO
Treant

27 topics
182 posts

by lLOMlLO » over 4 years ago
I'd like some clarification about "allow people to vote offline." Players can vote while offline already. Do you mean you would like votes done offline to give rewards, or count towards vote count?

Awkwardbowman
Ancient

34 topics
149 posts

by Awkwardbowman » over 4 years ago
I would love to have an offline voting option. It would help since I typically remember that I haven't voted during times when I don't have the ability to do so. It would even help for use when  you're online and don't want to get items at that time. I would see this as the following scenario:

You vote, it adds to your vote total. You have second total for "redeemed" votes. When you use /redeem you can put a number after it to say how many you want to redeem. for each vote you redeem, you must have 1 open inventory slot (even if you get the same item and it can stack). Your redeem count then goes up the same amount.

Example: 
I have been voting for a week without redeeming. I went caving for a while and decided to go back to my base and redeem. I have a Vote count of 221 and a Redeemed count of 200. 
I have 5 empty slots, so I can use /redeem 5. My Redeemed count goes up to 205, i receive the rewards for 5 votes. Some of those were stackable and I have 3 slots left now. I can use /redeem 3. My redeemed count goes up to 208. I decide that this is way too slow, so I empty my entire inventory into my base. I use /redeem. My redeem count goes up to my Vote count of 221, and i receive vote rewards for the remaining 13 uses. If i use /redeem again, i get a message saying i have no more votes to redeem. 

In this scenario, we could still have it pop-up in chat when people vote, or we can simply have it pop up when they redeem (but it would likely be a message such as "Awkwardbowman has redeemed 21 votes!") and only have larger rewards displayed to prevent chat spam. 

Thoughts?

diamond.png x 1

NecronBrinis
Ancient

7 topics
14 posts

Bangz: I do see that rarity should be factored in, but given how economy works, trident prices are scaled significantly when compared to other many other things sold in shops.

Lom: I was intending that players could get rewards while offline.

Bowman: You're really painting the picture better than I can. Your ideas may be a tad more work on the dev side, though I think it will be simple for players to understand if it gets implemented.

TinyTau
Elder

3 topics
11 posts

by TinyTau » over 4 years ago
I think adding a Wilderfork (and possibly Wilderbow/crossbow??) to the vote rewards pool seems like a good option considering it's rarity. It is a very difficult item to get on servers and it's unfortunate that people can't enjoy it's use for quite a while into the game. That being said, it seems a little unfair if someone who hasn't played on the server for a long time suddenly logs in and gets plenty of loot to go crazy with. Part of the consideration that goes into adding rewards is considering the contributions players are adding to the game. If a player who has 1 hour of playtime is able to get the same amount of loot as a player who has 10 days of playtime, they haven't had the same amount of contributions to the server and yet are rewarded equally. Not only this, but stacking up loot in an offline "loot chest" so to speak creates a sort of extended enderchest. For example if I vote offline for a few weeks but don't cash in my vote rewards on the server, I can redeem the rewards after I die because there is NO chance I lose those vote rewards until I redeem them. In the current system, it is up to the player's judgement and caution to utilize those rewards as effectively as possible with the risk of survival-based loss coming into play. 

gplayer5
Ancient

6 topics
43 posts

by gplayer5 » over 4 years ago
As far as adding a trident to the pool of rewards (to further balance this concept), you could unlock that item as a voting reward once you reach a certain rank.

For example, the trident is added to the pool of voting rewards, but you can't actually get it until you're at least a Colossal rank or higher. This would eliminate the possibility that someone (presumably a Feral or lightfoot) can get one after only playing on the server for one week vs someone who has been playing for months. 

I also agree with letting players vote for the server offline and letting them collect the rewards later on. You could possibly put the rewards in a sort of queue for the player account. When the player comes online, they can type a command like "/CollectRewards" to redeem all offline rewards. Codewise, you could limit the queue rewards to a certain limit (e.g. players can only queue 9 vote rewards max) to help reduce the number of temporary values stored per player.

NecronBrinis
Ancient

7 topics
14 posts

Tiny: I usually don't see the flaws in my ideas until someone points them out. It does seem unfair for a stack of rewards to accumulate over time, which could potentially resolve via a timer. If one doesn't claim their vote rewards within their first [insert set time here] (I'm thinking 15 ≤ timer ≤ 60, meaning at least 15 minutes but no greater than 1 hour), they lose access to their pool. This would be implemented to stop players from abusing the accumulation of rewards.

gplayer: Mythic seems like a happy medium for the trident rank bonus. Also, your idea of a queue seems worth implementing. It helps with Tiny's balance change of the offline vote idea. The queue could be balanced at 1 week worth of queueing, at most, which is 21 total rewards. The reason I think a week is alright is because some people feel more disconnected from the server after not being on it after a week. If the queue is added, the claim timer could increase to about 2 hours, and wouldn't seem as bad a change.

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account