New Wilder Item Idea: Shelby's Hover Boots

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

by xHerobrine » about 1 year ago

Shelby's Hover Boots are iron boots that allow players to activate a hover mode that let's them float around on a consistent y level, and if they sneak or shift they slowly float up or down. This would be useful for building tall structures without needing to place scaffolding, going around caves to mine ores on the ceiling, or even just getting a good view of your base to take a screenshot with. The boots would use the levitation effect to achieve this. Levitation 0 = Slowly floating upwards, Levitation 255 = Hover mode, Levitation 254 = Slowly floating downwards. 

Now, this sounds like basically flying, but it's far from it. Something to note is that players can't move very fast with the levitation effect, not even as fast as normal sprinting. There would also be a cost to using them which would be like how elytra durability decreases. The boots durability would slowly wear down over time and players would need to be careful and keep track of it, otherwise they'll fall out of the air when it's durability reaches 0. Players would then repair it like any other item with mending. My idea is that the boots would last for less time than a normal elytra would, maybe around 3-4 total minutes from full durability, so players wouldn't be able to use them for long periods of time constantly. 

To really push this in, because I imagine players will reject this idea simply from the line of thought that "it's flying", the boots are NOT creative mode flight. As I said, players can't even move as fast as normal sprinting with the Levitation effect making them very inefficient for travelling long distances (like over the end's void say), and the boots would not last as long as even a normal unenchanted elytra- so players would need to use it frugally if they don't want to rush back and forth to repair it every few minutes.  

The speed of the boots don't make them an OP movement item, and the durability decreasing like an elytra is a fair and simple to understand cost for them to have, so I think this would make for a great Wilderitem. They could also be called Shelby's Rocket Boots, Shelby's Jet Boots, Shelby's Boots of Levitation, or whatever. I personally prefer Shelby's Hover Boots. 

Last edited: about 1 year ago

RE: New Wilder Item Idea: Shelby's Hover Boots

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

If anyone thinks this is still OP, then by all means please pitch ideas on how these boots could be further balanced. 

JunoWeed
Guardian

1 topics
8 posts

by JunoWeed » about 1 year ago

The idea seems well balanced from a bulider perspective.  From a speed runners perspective they are OP as heck.  Knock out those crystals? No problem just float up.  Got Brutes on your tail, again just float up, make short work of them with a bow.  Lava lake below? No problem, boots to stop your fall. Traversing, swimming, caving, pillager raids, tree harvesting, end raiding, wither skelly farming, etc etc  all lose a good part of their threat level or danger at rhe cost of a few levels?

Solution might be to give it an activation cost of an unfarmable item (phantom memebranes? But really do unfarmables even exist nowadays?)   Or a time limited activation period (60 secs) with a same length cool down. This means a builder is still going to rely on a game present mechanic of scaffold, but offers the chance to get around those oh so impossible block placements, Without offering the speedrunner so much an advantage that other game mechanics/playstyle are not going to be superior.

diamond.png x 1

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

A lot of what you mentioned Juno can be done with an elytra as well. Maybe not an easily, but way faster. It's not hard to fly up to end crystals and shoot them down, or fly away from mobs and shoot them from afar, or save yourself from lava by flying upwards. I see your point though, and that's the kind of thing that I would like to hear proper balancing measures for. 

I'm not a fan of giving it a fuel item though. An item that isn't farmable would be tedious to gather, not to mention the inventory space it takes up (especially if a player wants to use the wilder item a lot and gather stacks of the fuel item, but then they'd have to carry all those stacks). It just seems like an overcomplicated and tedious way of giving an item a cost that takes all of the possible fun and/or convenience out of said item which is why I came up with the simple durability idea.

If I had to think of some limitations to prevent those things though, then... First, make it so the boots "malfunction" (deactivate) if a player gets hit. I did some testing in creative, and dodging skeleton arrows isn't so easy with the speed of levitation, and in the end the dragon and its breath would be a threat too. If a player is hit, the boots would deactivate and wouldn't be able to turn on again for say 10 seconds.

Second, make it so the boots don't have break protection so if a player dares to wear the boots constantly to avoid mobs- draining durability as they use it- the risk of losing the boots is greater. Players wouldn't just wear all the boots all the time so casually for the sake of avoiding mobs if they know the boots could break if a mob hits them during poor timing.

Third would be to make it so the boots can only activate when touching ground. This is a limitation the enderbow has, so it would be simple to apply it to the boots as well. This would completely negate the idea that the boots could just save players anywhere if they're falling, whether it be from high heights, lava, or the void (not that the boots are a for sure save anyways, levitation doesn't instantly halt a players momentum. I tested that too)

Last edited: about 1 year ago diamond.png x 1

JunoWeed
Guardian

1 topics
8 posts

by JunoWeed » about 1 year ago

The lack of unbreaking/low durability and the idea of having the boots only activate when standing on a block are really good balance points without adding tedium of resource gathering to use them, or over nerding with a long timeout between uses. 

👍👍

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

Note: Shelby apparently wants a different item named after her. A new name suggestion I offer is Link's Hover Boots (by Goonpa) which is an item in the game Link Ocarina of Time, or just name them simply Boots of Levitation.

Tolcum
Guardian

2 topics
64 posts

by Tolcum » about 1 year ago

This item was approved tentatively. Red is looking to rework the SkyBlock Jetpack item with a better name. Red saw this as a big utility item to builders and wants to work on bringing an iteration over to the tree servers soon.

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account