Wilderwings and the Coin Shop

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

by xHerobrine » over 2 years ago

The setup for Wilderwings in the coin shop needs to be changed, as well as other parts of the coin shop. 

tldr:

I spent 40$ on Wilderwings and bought them under the assumption that they would have Protection, but instead, I got a pair of Fire Protection WIlderwings. I requested a change and was denied. This is extremely unfair because there is zero warning that Wilderwings can have different enchantments, and that's not how it should be in a shop where players are expected to be able to choose what they want- especially when that shop mostly makes players spent real life money to buy from. 

I believe the CoinShop needs to clarify what players will get when buying from the shop, instead of just randomizing the enchantments and expecting players to notice that, and that players affected by this should be given new Wilderwings. 

There's also the case of a player's Wilderwings burning in lava, and them being denied a new pair- despite the fact that Wilderwings new Netherite protection are supposed to protect them from lava. They should be given new wings as well, since they lost the wings due to a server side mistake. 

too long but please read: 

Currently, the Wilderwings in the coin shop show a random enchantment each time the player reopens the crate. That's because there are different types of enchantments Wilderwings could have. However, there is absolutely no warning that this is the case, that I could find.

This is a problem when the coin shop is viewed as a special shop where players most often buy the currency for using real life money and are expecting to be capable of choosing the items they want. This is the type of shop that players deserve to have a clear understanding of, as otherwise they feel as if they've just wasted money and quite even robbed. 

Yesterday, I was debating buying Wilderwings, and when I opened the shop I looked at it it had Protection V. I eventually decided I would buy it, so I spent 40$ on WilderCoins, and then used those coins to buy the wings- by simply opening the coin shop and going to click the wings- without carefully staring at it to see what enchantment it had, because I assumed what I saw before was what it would still have. Lo and behold, the wings had Fire Protection instead of Protection. I was very confused by this, and upon opening the crate a few times I realised that the displayed enchantments were random. 

Now, to clarify a couple things before I get to the next part, I must explain a couple things. First, the enchantments shown each time you open the crate are NOT always different. I experimented by opening and closing the CoinShop many times, and have found that it's possible for the same Protection V enchantment to show up multiple times in a row. Second, even after asking staff and other players, I do not know whether or not the player will get the displayed enchantment in the shop when they click it, or if it's random no matter what it shows.

So back to my story, I was very confused that I had not gotten the wings I saw previously, so I requested a change of wings and made feedback that the setup was confusing without much thought. 

I was denied a change of wings. 

Why? As I said before, there was absolutely zero warning that the Wilderwings could have different enchantments, and players should not be expected to know that simply because that's how it's been for a long time. Players spend real life money on coins, or a great amount of diamonds buying the coins ingame, and players deserve to clearly understand how the CoinShop works BEFORE they waste away their hard earned cash and/or time and diamonds. 

Say a completely new player logs onto Wilder and has money to spend, then they would have absolutely no idea that they're risking their money on something that might not be what they want. They would open up the CoinShop, see interesting items, and assume that what's displayed is what they're going to get. I have already stated above that the enchantments shown have a possibility to show the same enchantments multiple times in a row, so even if they were to reopen the crate a few times, they could be easily mislead into thinking that.

There are a few different ways the CoinShop could and should be changed. 

In the case that the displayed enchantment is what players will get when they click it, it should be changed so clicking the Wilderwings leads players to another section of the shop that displays each type of enchantment. That way, players can have an easier time choosing which enchantment they want instead of just spam opening and closing the crate over and over again, and they won't be mislead by the displayed enchantments potentially showing the same enchantment multiple times in a row. 

In the case that the enchantments are random no matter what, then that needs to be very clearly stated. Many players are under the assumption that WilderWings only have Protection as an enchantment, as that is why they are so valued and what players love about them. Not to mention, that is also what's displayed on their page in the website. https://wildercraft.net/wildertools/wilderwings

The website shows Wilderwings with only the Protection enchantment, and states nowhere that other types of wings exist. Another thing is I don't believe I've ever seen WIlderwings with protection levels under 5 before, yet the website says that. If that's supposed to be intended in the CoinShop, then that should be clearly stated. 

Honestly though? If it's random no matter what, then I think that should be changed. The vast majority of players will tell you that they would prefer Protection over Fire Protection or Projectile Protection, and if everyone is made aware that they could potentially spend real life money, up to 40$ at that, and they'll have only a CHANCE of getting the Protection enchantment they want? Well... I think the store is going to be seeing a lot less coins being bought for the sake of wings. I can't imagine many players being willing to spend money on something that only has a CHANCE of being what they want. Even more so when nobody knows what the chance is. 

That's not even the entire problem with Wilderwings, as I've also been made aware that wings can burn in lava still despite having "Netherite Protection". This is all hearsay, but I was told that a player named MiyazonoMei lost their wings because they burned in lava, requested another pair, and were denied, because apparently that's how wings are supposed to be and them being called Netherite was a bug. 

Well then, if that's the case, then what is red talking about here? 

2021-08-30_03.54.04.png

Really now...

Between a player being denied their wings that burned in lava when they are not supposed to burn in lava, and me not being given even slightest warning that the wings might not be what I wanted, I believe we should be compensated and given another pair of wings, and the correct enchantment wings, back. 

This situation was extremely unfair to me, and will be unfair to others in the future. The coin shop is just that, a SHOP where players CHOOSE what they buy. If there are any differences from it than a straightforward normal shop, then that should be very very clearly stated. Wilder has a very big problem with being vague with their item descriptions, and nobody knowing how certain items work, and this is by far a part of that. 

Last edited: over 2 years ago creeper-head.png x 1 | diamond.png x 4

RE: Wilderwings and the Coin Shop

MrMagooAZ
Guardian

51 topics
102 posts

by MrMagooAZ » over 2 years ago

I agree with the main idea here.

First off, I think that anyone who accidentally buys the wrong wings should be able to get them swapped out. It's a digital item and only takes a little time. I would imagine it's easy to prove they bought them.

The way they are listed in the Coint Ship is a little bit unnerving. They should be listed as 4 separate items, one for each enchant, or do a sub-menu thing like the heads.  Or at a minimum a HUGE message should come letting you know that you're buying Projectile Protection V wings and do you want to continue.

These are an expensive item, and can lead to a player feeling like they just got robbed. No one wants that.

diamond.png x 4

Spacedout2001
Dryad

13 topics
14 posts

by Spacedout2001 » over 2 years ago

I definitely agree with all the points made here. Digital items should be fixed if the player expected something else, none of the other tools have random enchants in the coin shop so it makes little sense that these do. Add more specifics to your items wildercraft! 

diamond.png x 1

HeresYoSmoothie
Guardian

8 topics
20 posts

by HeresYoSmoothie » over 2 years ago

I feel the same way on all points. Spending $40 on wings only to later notice they don't have the enchantment you were led to believe you were buying, and being denied getting it fixed is disappointing and feels like robbery.

Possibly the biggest feature of netherite is that it doesn't burn in lava, so putting "netherite" in the description of something that actually does burn in lava is downright misleading, though I'm sure it's unintended. And believing something can't burn in lava when it actually can might alter how somebody plays while having the item in their inventory. So, losses are caused that otherwise wouldn't have happened if the description was accurate. 

The lack of clarity surrounding these *not vanilla* items and systems- and the denial of help with the resulting problems- feels pretty unforgiving to be honest, which obviously isn't the kind of atmosphere Wilder is trying to create.

Last edited: over 2 years ago diamond.png x 1

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 2 years ago
  1. Thank you xHero for bringing this to our attention! I had no idea this was an issue until your very detailed list of issues above. Thanks for taking the time. I want to assure you I'm listening, community team is listening, and we'll do what's necessary to make things right.
  2. Yes you'll be able to swap out WilderWings. I'll ensure this happens for everybody who wants it!
  3. I'm making changes to the CoinShop so all WilderWings are consistent and have no random properties! What you see is what you get. So wait until tomorrow (Sept 1) to get your new wings.
  4. Lastly I've updated all the netherite code is lava protected — including Wings and colored leather, so they won't burn up. Actually it does a fun little effect I hope people appreciate. =]

All the above changes will be in effect on Sept 1 for a big update!

diamond.png x 2

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account