Ruby Island Suggestions

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

by xHerobrine » over 3 years ago

So I have some more suggestions, this time about Ruby Island. 

Ruby Island welcome message: Just a simple welcome message for when players go to the Ruby Island. This could either be in the chat, or as holograms infront of the spot players spawn at. It would have a short description of the fight, how it requires a Ruby Egg to start, and how there are prizes like a Ruby Key along with Wildercoins/Custom food/Rockets/Diamonds at the end of each fight. Describe stuff like how a key is given to any random player at the end of the fight, how the treasure goblin can drop a key, and how the most damage dealer gets an exp buff. Basically, clarify a lot of stuff.

There would also be an additional part of the message reassuring players that if they die, they won't for sure lose their stuff. It'll explain that their items will be saved in a soul campfire block. It'll also specifically say that even if they fall in the void, the soul campfire block will spawn where they last touched solid ground (I didn't know myself until I tested some stuff), so they won't lose their stuff even then.  

This will encourage players to join in on the fight more I think, since I've seen players shy away from it due to not having the best armor, or going to the fight without their best gear, since they don't want to lose anything.

Ruby Steak: Currently, Ruby Steak when eaten gives you Slowness II and Saturation II for 2 minutes each. It will also only give you the effects if you eat it at Ruby Island.

So first, I suggest changing the Ruby Steak to a Ruby Apple. Why? Well... Apples are red, and so are rubies... so... lol yeah. It's just more fitting, and looks nicer when compared to a plain looking steak item. Not to mention, the saturation effect that it gives would mean the hunger difference that apples and steak gives wouldn't really matter at all, so there's no harm in making that change. There's also the idea that there are already items like Golden Apples and Enchanted Golden Apples, so players would have an easier time understanding that a Ruby Apple will give you special effects when eaten. Really, an apple is just overall much more fitting.  

Next, I have a couple different ideas for Ruby Apples depending on if it stays how it is- meaning it can only be eaten on Ruby Island- or if it changes and it can be eaten anywhere. 

If it can only be eaten on Ruby Island: Give lore describing that it will only give effects if eaten on the island. Right now, you can eat a Ruby Steak on a tree server, but it won't do anything. It doesn't tell the player that the effects will only apply on the island either, and I imagine a lot of players must have been confused by that and think the Ruby Steak doesn't do anything. I get the server likes having vague lore for items, like with a lot of the wilder tools, but there needs to be some clarification so players aren't always confused as to what items do. I played for months on the server without ever knowing what a lot of items did, which is not a good thing.

Also, if it stays how it is and can only be eaten on the island, I personally think the effects it gives should be changed. Namely, the slowness that the apple gives should be removed. Sure, items shouldn't be too overpowered, but the item already has limitations in that it can only be eaten on the island. I don't think many players ever use it with how it currently is, and that's no good.

I also think that the Saturation effect should be changed to Regeneration, because I don't think a lot of players understand just what exactly Saturation does. I myself didn't realize how powerful it was until I tested it, since it's essentially fast regeneration for both health and hunger. I think that's another reason that players don't ever use it- because they don't realize how good the effects it gives are. It would be much easier to understand if the effect was just Regeneration, letting them know it's definitely a good positive effect.

With that said, I think it should either have a high regeneration effect for a short time- like Golden Apples but slightly better, or a low regeneration over a longer period of time, 2 minutes being long enough already. This would tone down how overpowered the item would be, making it okay for the slowness effect to be removed.

If it can be eaten anywhere: Personally though, I'd rather have it so Ruby Apples could be eaten anywhere. I don't like having items that are specified towards certain places, that just feels so restraining. Some players also don't go to Ruby Fights very often too, so it's not much of a prize if they can't ever really use it. Also, if they don't go to fights often and also don't win the food often (since you don't get the food item every fight)- they could straight up forget that it would even be useful and forget to bring it. 

Not to mention, although not every player does this- golden apples and other foods are just as good substitutes at the fight. Sure, the effects are a little worse, but even so... It's just not very rewarding as it is right now. The limitations and alternatives together make it hardly noteworthy. 

But if it could be eaten anywhere, the effects would obviously have to be changed too. I would suggesting simply having it give a short burst of saturation, so it fills up a food bar fully, but that's it. It wouldn't last so long and be a super regeneration item to brave dangers, but moreso a convenience. This would make it a noteworthy item to have, but not overpowered. Of course, having a short burst of saturation would still regenerate health for while it lasts, so if that still sounds too overpowered it could simply be changed so it just fills the food bar up fully without saturation. I don't think giving players a healing item would be overpowered though, considering this is a peaceful survival server and not a pvp server, so I wouldn't mind having a short burst of saturation that both heals and fills the food bar up. 

Post-Fight prizes: One last suggestion is to just add a simple message saying items are being dropped around the arena after a fight. Players who don't know this happens often don't make it in time, and players who knew beforehand get all of the items first. There's not many items, so with multiple players running to the edges already anticipating it, they get all of it before new players can. Maybe on top of that chat message, add a short delay so new players can be more prepared, and know items are about to drop. 

Also remove the emeralds, because emeralds are worthless in such small amounts as a prize from a boss fight. Maybe just adding extra rockets would be nicer instead, or just have all the rockets drop in pair with diamonds. 

It just feels silly to me, since often either players only get a couple rockets and diamonds, or one player goes around really fast and gets half of them. 

Last edited: over 3 years ago diamond.png x 3

RE: Ruby Island Suggestions

BlockBreaker53
Elder

11 topics
34 posts

by BlockBreaker53 » over 2 years ago

Hey Herobrine,

We loved a lot of these ideas, and are hoping to get some of them in-game for next season. We're setting up a more informative spawn area for it too :) 

Thanks for your feedback,

- Community Team

xHerobrine
Guardian

21 topics
45 posts

by xHerobrine » over 2 years ago

So I've had another suggestion to add onto this list, I'm just going to leave it here since this is my post of multiple Ruby Island suggestions.

Make it easier for players to rejoin the fight after they die: Often times I see players confused on how to return to the fight. It's either because they just don't read the hologram and see no obvious way out, or- as I know from personal experience- the /rubydragon island command sometimes doesn't work properly. Something that happened to me months ago was that during the fight I died, and when trying to use the command to rejoin the fight the command for some reason thought I was moving and cancelling the teleport. I don't know if that still happens now, but if it does I could understand why other players might be confused on how to return. 

I suggest to make a sort of chamber looking space with a pressure plate or a button, that instantly warps the player back to the fight. No waiting or anything, as to be honest I don't see why that's even there. 

Add an Enderchest next to the place players warp into on Ruby Island: Another small suggestion is to just add an enderchest next to the place players warp onto when they arrive at Ruby Island. I don't know why there isn't one already, really it would just be a massive convenience so players don't need to spend at least 30+ seconds to go to a tree server, go find and open an enderchest, and come back. 

No_L1fe_360
Sapling

16 topics
44 posts

by No_L1fe_360 » over 2 years ago

herobrine, i like the echest idea being placed at the ruby island. I also like the chamber idea. I agree that there should be an echest at the spawn of the ruby island. Also, with the chamber, it needs to have glass as the flooring and the chamber needs to be floating above the middle of the island so that it is hovering over the ruby dragon and the towers. 

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account