New Boardgame - Battleship!

BlackDog97
Dryad

11 topics
15 posts

by BlackDog97 » over 3 years ago

As a follow-up on Wilder's Match5, I propose a new minigame, based on the popular paper/pencil game Battleship, which is a strategy type guessing game for two players.

It is played on ruled grids on a board, on which each player marks his fleet of ships.

• For the ships there can be used custom heads. Each player's fleet of ships (including battleships) are marked. The locations of the fleets are concealed from the other player.
  • Empty ocean blocks are blue, marked blocks turn green and blocks that received salvos (hits on a ship) turn to red.
  • The grids are typically square – usually 10×10 – and the individual squares in the grid are identified by letter (A-I) and number (1-10). 

Players alternate turns calling "salvos" at the other player's ships, and the objective of the game is to destroy the opposing player's fleet. Before play begins, each player secretly arranges their ships on their primary grid. Each ship occupies a number of consecutive blocks on the grid, arranged either horizontally or vertically. The number of squares for each ship is determined by the type of the ship.

The ships cannot overlap (i.e., only one ship can occupy any given block on the board), and can not be arranged diagonally. The types and numbers of ships allowed are the same for each player. 

The Ships making up each fleet are the following:

No. Class of ship Size
1 Carrier 5 blocks
1 Battleship 4 blocks
2 Cruiser 3 blocks
2 Submarine 3 blocks
4 Destroyer 2 blocks

After the ships have been positioned, the game proceeds in a series of rounds.

In each round, each player takes a turn to announce a target square in the opponent's grid which is to be shot at. The opponent announces whether or not the square is occupied by a ship. If it is a "hit", the player who is hit marks this on their own grid. The attacking player marks the hit or miss on their own "target" grid (red for "hit", white for "miss"), in order to build up a picture of the opponent's fleet.

When all of the squares of a ship have been hit, the ship's owner announces the sinking of the Vessel.

Victory commences when:

1. If all of a player's ships have been sunk.
  2. If a player's Battleship, 1st Cruiser and the Carrier have been sunk. 

Possible wildcards: 

Double Salvo- two hits in the same round. 

Crazy Ivan- Undo a hit by evasive maneuver.

Last edited: over 3 years ago diamond.png x 1

RE: New Boardgame - Battleship!

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 3 years ago

Black, I LOVE this idea! Battleship is a good game, lots of fun.

Memory matching card game is another one I'd like to recreate in Minecraft.

I'm adding this to my list of things I'd like to make. Perhaps we can get someone on the dev team to take a crack at this!

diamond.png x 1

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account