Possible Upgrades to the Wilder Bow

PS3BOI332
Colossal

8 topics
14 posts

by PS3BOI332 » over 3 years ago

Let's face it: the WilderBow, whose ability is to have both infinity and mending along with power II, isn't the most appealing wilder item. That's why I came up with a few possible upgrades that the WilderBow can get:

1. Have it shoot completely straight
    1. Arrows shot from the bow will not fall
    2. The arrows will shoot at exactly where the crosshairs are pointing at
  2. Enable the bow to use infinity on tipped/spectral arrows
    1. At the moment, tipped and spectral arrows are not affected by infinity
    2. If they are, it would definitely add more appeal to the weapon
  3. Have the bow have a looting 3 effect
    1. Whenever you kill a mob with the bow, the drops are affected by a looting 3 effect

That's all I have to suggest. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that all of these be added; that would be too op. I do think that, though, if one of these were to be implemented it would be a huge improvement to the WilderBow. If you guys have any questions or other suggestions please put them in the comments.:))))

RE: Possible Upgrades to the Wilder Bow

Awkwardbowman
Ancient

34 topics
149 posts

by Awkwardbowman » over 3 years ago

Typically, the items are designed to have some trade-off to ensure they're not just a straight up better version of the existing items. There are some exceptions to this, like the current state of the bow, but the Mending + Infinity bit is based upon the previous ability to have both of those on the same item.

Obviously this isn't an official response, but the following are my own opinions on the benefits you listed:

1) This could be very interesting to assist with aiming, but also creates some potentially laggy behavior if you have a lot of arrows that just fly off into the distance. We had an incident with snowmen shooting snowballs into unloaded chunks before that could crash a server... too much of this could be a problem. But otherwise, I like the concept of it being essentially an "aim-assist". That doesn't feel too strong, more like a Quality of Life improvement.

2) Infinite Tipped arrows instead seems stronger, considering that they're notably harder to get in Java since you can't just use a cauldron. Personally, I'd love a way to mass produce these, since they're not game-breaking, but I'd rather not link that capability specifically to the WilderBow. Alternatively, I'd like a WilderCauldron or something that allows you to create more tipped arrows.
However, I personally already prefer tipped arrows anyway, and tend to use Mending bows for that reason, yet in all my time playing, I've never really had an issue with keeping up on stock for arrows. I dont' know if other people spam arrows a ton or something... but with a simple auto-brewing setup, I can easily make more than enough arrows to keep up with my normal consumption. Adding infinite tipped arrows to the Wilderbow wouldn't really get my attention... but neither did adding Mending/Infinity tbh. 

3) I love to see non-vanilla enchantments on items, just for the collectable aspect. If there was a single thing I'd add to most wilder items/tools, it would be this. Give them a looting level 1 above vanilla, but keep the rest of it random. Then you have the tradeoff of having a bit better looting (or fortune), but may not have a max item otherwise. Plus, with the sheer number of farmers on the server, having a little additional increase in items isn't going to break the economy. Alternatively, I'd love to see specialized loot tables for killing key mobs, but that COULD impact economy and may need to require the wilderbow to be more easily obtainable as a result.

Just my own personal thoughts :) I'm always excited to see new improvements to the Wilder Items.

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account