Dungeon run ideas/feedback

Richy_ZS
Ancient

14 topics
46 posts

by Richy_ZS » over 5 years ago
I think by now most people are familiar with the Dungeon Run, and have tried it at least once so we're interested in hearing your views on it and how we could improve it going forward. We're interested in peoples views on things like:-
  • What you enjoyed about it
  • What you disliked about it
  • If you could make any changes to it, what would you change
  • Your views on time taken per run
  • How you feel about the rewards
Also feel free to discuss any other ideas/suggestions you may have on it.

diamond.png x 1

RE: Dungeon run ideas/feedback

MilkyKitsune
Pathfinder

1 topics
3 posts

by MilkyKitsune » over 5 years ago
Hello, I've played Dungeon Run a few times during my stay on the server. It's a really good mode, I enjoy playing it whenever the opportunity arises. However, I do have a few complains and suggestions about it that the staff and possibly other players may or may not enjoy. (I've only done the Epic Dungeon a few times and joined the server recently, so the suggestions I make here may be already considered/talked about, or already in the game.)

- The rewards are a little too vague. When I completed my first dungeon run, which was Forest on Normal with one other person, I've gotten a lot of EXP and two EXP bottles. Recently, I did a solo Epic dungeon run on Normal and I've recieved pretty much the same rewards but instead it was a lot more EXP than what I normally get from completing a run, but it's the same two EXP bottles. It would be nice to see what players could potentially get from completing a run other than EXP, and also know if the amount of players/the damage a person has compared to other players on your team effects your rewards the recieve. The mode so far doesn't give players that are unfamiliar with the Dungeon Run enough information about it even after doing /dungeonrun. 

- Aside from the bosses, I feel like the dungeon definitely need some difficulty scaling especially when it comes to progressing room to room. There's always the same type and number of mobs in the same number of room, so whenever I'd enter a room I was familiar with, I'd know exactly what to expect if you've experienced it a few times before, ruining the immersive experience. My suggestion would be to spice it up a little, and give mobs special attributes. A skeleton could have the speed potion effect on them for a certain amount of time, yet slows down players using slowness arrows. A zombie could be really slow, but do an insane amount of damage. Things like that can mix up how people go through room to room. 

- Bosses can get out the main room where they're usually at, but when a player respawns exactly where strong mobs are, it wasts another one of their lives, potentially leading them into a game over. I suggest giving a grace period (10 - 15 seconds) to players that respawn so they can get their items and get back on track.

For the smaller stuff:

- I feel like there should be extra shields, particularly at the half way mark of the Epic dungeon since depending on how much you use it, shields can break fairly easily by the end of the run. 

- There's a Keep room in which spiders spawn, but almost all of them suffocate and get killed. I haven't seen this in the 25 floor Keep dungeon, but it happens all the time in the Epic dungeon. Basically a free room to players. Cave spiders would be a nice addition to this room aswell.

- There's two rooms in which Drowned spawn, but they all are pushed back by the current of the water they're in, basically making them stuck in the corner and posing no threat to the player. Basically a free room. I would make these room have a lot more water potentially giving the drowned a lot more space to move around and pose more of a threat. 

- The Ruby Warlock can be easily cheesed since it runs out of spells to use, and the blazes spawn outside the boss room when you're close to the walls, making it easy to do. Very anticlimatic boss fight to what could be a 2 hour session. 

These are mostly all I have time to type right now, but I hope these are agreeable and considerable! 

Last edited: over 5 years ago diamond.png x 2

MilkyKitsune
Pathfinder

1 topics
3 posts

by MilkyKitsune » over 5 years ago
Hey, I'll be continuing my suggestion post by adding my suggestion for a completely new type of dungeon, called the Graveyard Dungeon. 

The Graveyard dungeon is the place where many failed adventurers and heroes come to be after being taken over and becoming a part of the Bone Rattler's infinitely powerful army. The dungeon itself has an overwhelmingly cold feel to it, with it *always* set to night time, making undead mobs unable to be damaged by sunlight and spiders able to always home in onto the players. The mobs can spawn right in front of tombstones (cobblestone walls with paved grass blocks). I haven't gotten too far into what the rooms could be like, but I'm imagining ruined/cracked structures inside some of the room rooms which contain chests, mobs. The gimmick with these structures is that they're made of mostly stone bricks which can spawn damage-boosted silverfish if a block is broken to create a little bit of hassle for players that are on low food and HP and make it so players that are completionists get the extra loot and XP from killing them. Either way, the enchantment, crafting, and anvil rooms that can be presumably safe and free of pesky skeletons can still be a threat to some who aren't careful. There can be also Wither Roses throughout the rooms which is the equivalent of green glass in the sewers. When you step on them, they give you the Wither effect for some amount of time. 

Now, for the boss, the Bone Rattler. He's essentially the second-in-command to the ​​​​​​Ruby Warlock. He is a Wither Skeleton with iron armor (I'm not sure if this is possible, if not, you can make him an average skeleton instead.), welding an iron axe, and is mounted on top of a skeleton horse. His boss arena is an open field with a few hills (making it not a flat ground), and graves he can summon minions out of consistently. Every attack from him can damage players immensely if they aren't careful. He has three main special moves—one making him Lunge toward whoever damaged him to make him trigger said move, another is a sweep attack which he stops and charges, then damages every player within a 5x5 block radius, inflicting all with a 30 second (this can be lengthened or shortened depending on the difficulty, of course) Wither effect, and the last one where he has a speed and defense/resistance boost for 15 seconds, a one-time last ditch effort at low HP. 

I hope this new dungeon idea interests you! I'd love to see what you could do with this, as it seems like a very cool concept on paper. 
​​​

​​​

Last edited: over 5 years ago diamond.png x 2

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 5 years ago
Great ideas Luri, yes we've heard a few of these before but some of your ideas are very good and worth pursuing.

I'm just waiting for 1.14 to settle down and have all the new Season 6 code finished before switching focus back to Dungeon Run. It was a lot of work and I'm interested in collecting a little more feedback before figuring out my plan of attack.

Thanks for your thoughtful notes here!

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account