Lack of Communication on Nether Localspawns

Captr
Treant

1 topics
2 posts

by Captr » over 3 years ago

I am making this post along with several other players from Elm to share our combined thoughts with the staff team and the Wildercraft community as a whole.  As many know, the players of Elm have been working together as a group for the past 4 days to create Elm’s nether hub.  We have been posting screenshots and sharing our progress with the entire playerbase in the server discord.
      Despite all of this, as of yesterday the localspawn area of the nether was admin claimed on all of the tree servers, and Naefaren (a helper on Wilder and a significant contributor to the hub) was informed that we would need to remove it.  After 12+ hours of playtime, over a shulker of tnt for bedrock breaking, and numerous donated materials, the dozens of players who contributed to the hub were pretty disheartened to hear this news.
      Before the update, Naefaren was informed that the build team would potentially be creating netherhubs, but there was nothing official and absolutely no communication to the playerbase as a whole.  Upon the release of the update we noticed that localspawn in the nether was not admin claimed, so we went forward with our project.  This area remained unclaimed for 4 days as we worked on our build.  We posted our progress daily and heard nothing from the staff team until the area was spontaneously claimed last night with no warning.
      The biggest issue here is a severe lack of communication.  With nothing claimed and no official announcement, we had no way of knowing for certain the staff team’s intentions with the nether.  Even now that the hub has been claimed, the only person receiving any communication from the staff team regarding this is a helper.  This is very frustrating, and it further fractures player and staff relationships because the regular players just feel left out and disregarded.
      I have been playing on Wildercraft long enough to see what a wonderful community this server has.  It’s a place for people to come together, have fun, and do things for the greater good of the server.  We have no doubt that the netherhub the build team wants to make would be amazing, but the overall happiness and hard work of the community should not be sacrificed in this process.  We hope that moving forward, whether we are allowed to keep our hub or not, that communication between the players and staff can be improved in order to avoid more situations like this.

diamond.png x 4

RE: Lack of Communication on Nether Localspawns

sugarflop
Ancient

6 topics
28 posts

by sugarflop » over 3 years ago
Heya Captr,
I am sorry you feel so overlooked in this descision. The Willow team were also surpised to find the admin claim on. But we all still had access to the claims. And also as explained to said helper build team were "discussing" build team building. Nothing was yet decided or set in stone. 

Also the Elm lead was told previously not to build the netherhub as they HAD been informed of build teams plan. 

As we said to the player leads to contact build leads instead of spreading currently un decided nether hub plans. 

When we in Willow found out we simply reached out to the Build Team and now are working with them to build something. 

creeper-head.png x 2

MrTrixer
Mythic

17 topics
55 posts

by MrTrixer » over 3 years ago
I still think that there should be more communication and information spread to us players about events like this Sugar, that Elm team of players have been working long and hard on this subject and the staff/builder team could have claimed the area on day 1 along with an announcement instead of waiting this long before kicking them all out and telling them to remove everything they've done.

That was just low and this situation could have been avoided with some proper countermeasures (announcements, post in the forum, etc) or just let them do whatever they want since the server players are clearly dedicated to the task. It is not impossible for the build team to cooperate with other players no?

But regardless, the lack of information and the sudden claim and notice of removal is, in my opinion, not ok, even now you're telling them that they should've talked to the build-team people and ask them whether someone is gonna build a hub or not. Who in the world except you staff members would know that sort of thing? :/

Last edited: over 3 years ago

thederpypikachu
Colossal

3 topics
6 posts

by thederpypikachu » over 3 years ago
The WilderStaff understands that this is a frustrating situation.

However, if you were to reread what Daisy, myself, Sugar, and other staff members have said, you can see that we have stated that the leader of the Elm nether hub project was explicitly told to NOT build yet. They were asked not to build and they went and did it anyways, starting this huge project that they knew they had been told not to do.

As for the admin claims, if you recall, staff was very busy this past weekend due to the recent 1.16 update and Ruby Dragon. There have been dozens of bugs that we have been working to fix and most were much much more important than an admin claim in the nether. There are STILL bugs that are being worked on. There really wasn't a mod or admin available to just go claim it due to the situation.

I get that this is frustrating. I get it. I'm a player as much as I'm a mod.

But repeating the same thing over and over will not rewind time. Staff has been working hard and we are excited to bring new events to the server - from event team's musical event, to skyblock updates soon, to ruby dragon, to 1.16 in general, all of that takes hours and hours of work and testing.

While yes, it is staff's fault for a lack of communication, it is also the community's responsibility to listen when we announce things. That includes to individual players and large groups. If players can understand what staff is saying, that will put a stop to 90% of problems like this before they even happen.

I hope everyone took the time to actually read and comprehend what I wrote and what other staff members have said before just going and continuing the conversation. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results. This is essentially the same thing. Saying one thing time and time again will not lead to change, only the same explanation and answer.

MrTrixer
Mythic

17 topics
55 posts

by MrTrixer » over 3 years ago
I did take the time reading your answer pika and i appreciate your time here, but i still think that was going too far. It doesn't take that long to claim an area even of that size, if you're an actual admin you can even do it with code and get it done in 3-4 seconds.

I wasn't part of this project and i haven't seen the leader of this said project telling everyone that he was warned and told not to build anything either, so putting the blame on some random person that isn't even part of the staff just makes it sound like you're trying to put the blame somewhere else and blow this all over.

I've talked about a similar subject before and for events as big as the nether hub being built for all of the different servers is, in my opinion, a big enough topic to actually be put in the announcements so that all of us players can get informed and not just that one person who decided to start the project.

If you, or whoever it was, that was responsible for this informed us all instead of only one player then this situation might not have escalated into this situation don't you think? ;)

Last edited: over 3 years ago

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account