Increasing shop sizes for ancient and mythic plots

Bluesnowflake
Elder
Colossal

19 topics
69 posts

by Bluesnowflake » over 3 years ago
I think expanding shop plots to be bigger would allow much more creative freedom and allow people to make shops varied in size and shape a lot more, as currently whilst spawn looks good, every building is the same size. This is due to people need to use all the space for building and chest placement, leaving little room for outside decoration. I have no idea why shop plots were orginally chosen to be this size but having some abitrary limit seems restrictive. I think we should increase the sizes of ancient and mythic plots to possibly 1.5x the size or even 2x the size to allow people to easily theme their shops and creative a more diverse shopping area. Obviously this would have to be a S9 change as it would be a nightmare to do this now.

diamond.png x 1

RE: Increasing shop sizes for ancient and mythic plots

Yacob1
Guardian

19 topics
63 posts

by Yacob1 » over 3 years ago
Even if shops stayed the same size could we increas ancient by one block so it is now an odd number instead of an even number, as haveing an odd number is so much easier for building.

daisysolo
Ancient

25 topics
60 posts

by daisysolo » over 3 years ago
Sir, 

1.5x of a 9x11 plot ---> 13.5 x 16.5 Plot 
2x a 9x11 plot ---> 18x22 Plot 

We allotted for roughly ~175 Mythic [9x11] plots this season and we are already close to running out. How do you suggest we allocated for maybe 2-3x the amount of those plots by next season with a bigger size. How would it be possible to navigate the shopping district? This is just in reference to Mmythic --> Imagine if we did the same principle to ancient: 

1.5x a 14x14 pplot -->  21x21 Plot 
2x a 14x14 plot --> 28x28 plot 

We alloted for roughly ~74 Ancient [14x14] plots this season and again, we are close to running out. How would we be able to fit the same amount of those plots with 1.5-2x the size of room. 

I see a lot of cons, Nearly impossible to navigate shopping area, Confusion for navigation especially if we want a more "natural" shopping area for players to navigate through, Not enough room for everyone to have a "just" spot from the warp (already a problem we are facing with the amount of plots we have. Increasing the size is simply not rational or beneficial in any aspect that i see. Having 75 28x28 plots would be far too large of an area to allow for cohesive and satisfactory shopping district. Even if applying that principle to our current situation, we would need more plots so think on a larger scale of the size/landscape we would need to allot for the sheer amount and size of those plots. 

diamond.png x 1

Bluesnowflake
Elder
Colossal

19 topics
69 posts

by Bluesnowflake » over 3 years ago
Madam, 

im aware how big the shop plots are, and i understand the amount work that goes into making the area, idk im thinking possibly server specific shops next season, having 6 smaller shopping area in local spawns with larger plots, firstly that would keep competition semi local and also make shopping areas easier to navigate, as even this season spawn is a bit chaotic to account for the ppl

Last edited: over 3 years ago

Olghar
Ancient

12 topics
24 posts

by Olghar » over 3 years ago
I agree with daisy it would be unpractical to increase the size of the plots (except maybe the height) I have seen alot of amazing builts in this size (alot of ugly too IMO) if its a matter of builds been more creative and someone cant find himself capable of fitting something nice in the plot he can always ask a builder to help.

ChukkTheDukk
Ancient

10 topics
31 posts

by ChukkTheDukk » over 3 years ago
I think it would be nice to have Ancient plots be 16x16, with a 32 block build height. This allows for the creation of a like block or entity themed store, because blocks are 16x16, and a good number of entities are 16 wide and 32 tall. It would be a good way to advertise, like make a pixel-to-block skeleton, to say you sell bones, arrows and bows, just as an example.

diamond.png x 1

Worzyy
Guardian

8 topics
44 posts

by Worzyy » over 3 years ago
I like the idea of having more variety, but I can see the issues with the space. What about changing the layout of the shopping area into different districts, where there's a mix of types of shops... Since people don't shop by rank it wouldn't affect that aspect of it, only the 'hunting down shop-plots' would be affected. Which although difficult, is something that staff are able to help with.

The other option would be to change the build height limit for different ranks. So instead of the 16 height for mythic, you could have an 18 height for colossal etc. The only drawback here would be the time difference in checking the plots for infringements, so would have to be ran by shop team... But it would be a nice way to add diversity to the shopping area, and could incentivise more people to vote/donate

diamond.png x 1

daisysolo
Ancient

25 topics
60 posts

by daisysolo » over 3 years ago
The idea of localspawns is interesting, we had that in Season 6 since Redwood and Cypress did not share one spawn and we ended up having two separate spawns with separate shop plots. My question would be what would be the use of spawn if all shops were in localspawn worlds? Big thing Red has emphasis on having spawn as a hub that has a lot of players to generate a welcoming environment for newer players. A large portion of players are in spawn for shops, either setting up/stocking/buying (not to disregard the percentage of players who are participating in a event or a Ruby Dragon Fight). 

and to Worzyy's point I don't see how a mix of shops would be more beneficial, we had that in Season 6 & 7 and ultimately everyone found it to be more confusing and less optimal for space. I could see potentially mythic + ancient being mixed but ancient being in the docks and having their own area is a sort of perk for being ancient Rank. I could see, a possible solution, being that we only utilized one cardinal direction of spawn for the Mythics and due to the size/demand, utilizing two sides would allow for more room. 

diamond.png x 1

MrTrixer
Mythic

17 topics
55 posts

by MrTrixer » over 3 years ago
I'm getting lost with the already growing shopping district of the Mythic area, I haven't even managed to reach the ancient area yet. I don't think I would ever be able to get out if you were to make the shops even bigger than that.^^"

Besides, half the challenge is to make a good compact building with the remaining space that you have available. :)

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account