Feedback about dungeons

badbvnny
Fairy

5 topics
9 posts

by badbvnny » over 3 years ago

Hi welcome to this post where I'll give my general thoughts about the current dungeons system and explain why they're boring to me

The first problem with dungeons

Lets start with the basic problem: dungeons are not hard, yeah killing 4 or 5 mobs might be a bit difficult (specially at the start of the dungeon run) but it's not really fun, mobs don't have any abilities, don't even have any skins (I will talk about this later), they are simple vanilla mobs but each time you open a door, a pack of 4-5 mobs spawn and that's it.

The rooms

The current rooms (no hate to the build team or whoever made the rooms) are boring, are small, there's nothing special about them, add some parkour, some mazes, some puzzles, something to make them more enjoyable and fun to explore. And I'm not saying to just delete all the existing rooms/maps, they are great for players starting in the server (even minecraft) or for easy dungeons, but playing hard in 10x10 rooms it's not really fun.

The bosses

The problem with the current bosses: just like the rest of the mobs, they are vanilla mobs, no special abilities (yes they spawn mobs to help against the player but that's it basically), no skin, no nothing, you spam left click for 5 mins (while also failing half of your hits, that's the best part, it's not fun to spam left click for 5 hours and fail half of your hits, you think it makes it difficult but it's just annoying and boring, it makes no real difference having this mechanic, it just makes beating the dungeon more annoying and a bit longer)

The mobs

All vanilla mobs, no mobs skins, no variation between the dungeons, they all look the same. Even giving some custom skulls and different leather colored armor would make them more fun to fight.

The 47 potions of instant health and strength (also 78 books of fire aspect 1 and sharpness) in your inventory

That's right, we don't need to get 89 potions from killing mobs, even less fire aspect 1 books. My suggestion to this problem: players can activate global power-ups (+strenght for everyone, +1 speed for everyone, you could even add more custom stuff to this like +1 dmg to the boss, +1 luck (luck could affect the loot you get for rooms, or drops from mobs)) this power-up(s) could be found in random rooms with special features, such as puzzles or parkour, also the upgrades should be limited per dungeon, you shouldn't find every upgrade in a single dungeon run. Also make potions stackable.

TL;DR

While most players might think that dungeons are hard or fun, I think they are having fun because they are playing with other players and not because of the dungeons themselves, there's no real difficulty in dungeons other than having to fight a pack of 5 mobs while wearing leather armor, there's no variation from dungeon to dungeon other than the block palette, chest placement and the boss. The rooms are small and not really great. Tbh dungeons have a lot of potential, like custom weapons with different abilities and much more, but for now we have... vanilla mobs.

Last edited: over 3 years ago

RE: Feedback about dungeons

redbau
Owner

139 topics
328 posts

by redbau » over 3 years ago

badbvnny, thanks for these insights. We are hard at work on bugfixes for Season 8, but as that is starting to settle down I hope to return focus to Dungeon Run and explore some of these very improvements for a 2.0 version.

- Bigger room sizes (this is currently hard coded so requires a big code refactor to change)

- More mobs (skins is a great idea, also having some custom effects, mini-boss type special abilities, etc)

- Better rewards/drops (this is something I've long wanted to add, just takes significant time to explore the right options and come up with balanced items that still work in survival minecraft)

diamond.png x 1

RE: Feedback about dungeons

badbvnny
Fairy

5 topics
9 posts

by badbvnny » over 3 years ago

Thanks for the response, I have some more feedback/ideas for the dungeons, more specifically about the wildershop and failing hits (idk what's called)

The wildercoin shop should stay as it is right now (the wildertools part), and make a separate shop for the heads, now how you get heads? Well, you could introduce a new reward you get after completing a dungeon, dungeon fragments, the downside of this new item is that you have a chance to get 1-3 fragments, you can craft a dungeon crystal with 4 fragments and spend it on the dungeon merchant.

I have another idea for the way you get heads right now, I think this one is better since it's closer to "vanilla survival"; you get 1 to 3 dungeon scraps after completing dungeons but instead of buying the heads you can craft them, and the recipe would look like this:

Heads recipe

This would give you the chest head; I'm using skull banner pattern but it's just a placeholder, it can be whatever (since banner patterns can't be stacked). You could even add more recipes for custom items and stuff using this system.

I also want to talk more about the failing hits thing; let me explain first why it's a bad idea: it's completely RNG, there's no real skill involved and that's why it doesn't feel pleasant when you're fighting a boss and you fail 4 consecutive hits, instead of that here's my proposal:

Remove it but add a defensive stage to the bosses where they receive less dmg or are completely invincible, some bosses could even have 2 defensive stages depending on the difficulty of the dungeon.

#edit: to expand further on the power-ups idea, you could get emeralds from killing mobs and from chests, and in the special rooms I said above after completing the puzzle/parkour/whatever there could be a villager that enchants your weapons/armor or gives the whole team a power-up. it would need a bit of balance depending on how many emeralds you get per room/mobs/chests

Last edited: over 3 years ago

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account