better ways to deal with non-english members

saltedsnaill
Ancient

1 topics
1 posts

by saltedsnaill » over 3 years ago
all due respect, but whenever i see a new member join who doesnt speak english the only replies i see are "english only please."
sometimes other players translate for them, but not often. i feel like some staff should have a little knowledge on other languages, or at least translate a message for them explaining so they can feel more welcome, especially since being in a place with a foreign language can be a little scary :)

diamond.png x 3

RE: better ways to deal with non-english members

_Swagg_
Ancient

20 topics
37 posts

by _Swagg_ » over 3 years ago
Although I am not a staff member, people can always call me over from the server I am on to translate to Dutch, French or German if needed.
i think it's a great idea that staff should try to translate it or even with google translate to the other persons language, they understand it better and they feel more welcome

BlockBreaker53
Elder

11 topics
34 posts

by BlockBreaker53 » over 3 years ago
Truthfully, I understand what you mean by us saying 'english only please' immediately, but firstly - the majority of the time the player that joined tends to then switch to english and everything is sorted with. However, that being said we do have players join who may not understand english at all - but the issue we have is that when players join like this many other players on that tree server start speaking the language and trying to explain things or say welcome. We have the english rule in place so that all staff are able to moderate what is being said as we may not all speak different languages. We also do have staff who speak many languages and when in this situation we bring them over to explain the rule in that language privately to the player, as not to add to the unhelpful comments in chat from players who are usually aware of the english only rule which does not invite them to start speaking a different language when players join in this way, and we then must deal not only with the new player who may not understand english, but with the rest of chat who joined in.

Bluesnowflake
Elder
Colossal

19 topics
69 posts

by Bluesnowflake » over 3 years ago
being staff is a volunteer job, they already put many hours into the server, asking them to learn other languages is a little much imo. The english-only rule is fine as it is, we cant rely on having staff/players online who speak the same language. maybe using phrases slightly less blunt than "english only please" would be good tho

Zankor2
Mythic

4 topics
6 posts

by Zankor2 » over 3 years ago
I personally think thats a good thing u are saying p_sofia22 tho i dont think we should force staff memebers to know languages u could just use goole translate or any other thing that might help. 

ML_Paladin
Ancient
Ancient

13 topics
40 posts

by ML_Paladin » over 3 years ago

Hi there!

Thank you for your idea we at community team are actively working on looking into ways to approach situations like these in future.

thanks for the idea!

Want to Reply?

Join our friendly community to get access to your profile page, apply for staff, and post a reply here!

Login or Register Account